Engineering Dean Search Under Wraps

The search for a new dean of the College of Engineering continues into another semester.

According to Henrik N. Dullea ’61, vice president for University relations, “There is an extensive search currently being performed by a committee, but there are no specific dates for when it will end.” The selection process is being handled by the Office of the Provost who, as of yet, have not made a formal of announcement of its search progress to the Cornell Community. “We are working with the Provost on this,” said Anna S. Bartels, vice president of planning and budgets, “but it is still confidential.”

Even the administration of the College of Engineering has not been heavily involved with the search process.

“We don’t have too much information because the Provost’s office is really doing it,” said Debra Guisado, assistant to the dean of the College of Engineering.

Professor Harold Craighead, applied engineering and physics, has served as the interim dean since July 1, when Prof. John Hopcroft’s, computer science, term ended.

“I imagine that I will continue on as the dean for the rest of the semester, since the selection process will take that time,” said Craighead.

When asked if there is a possibility of him continuing on as the permanent dean, Craighead responded, “That is not the purpose of the interim position, but the selection process will take its natural course.”

Archived article by Leigh McMullan