Syracuse Drops W. Soccer, 1-0

Despite the valiant efforts of freshman goalkeeper Katie Thomas, the Cornell women’s soccer team was unable to defeat the No. 18 Syracuse Orangewomen. The 1-0 loss dropped the Big Red to 1-1 on the young season, while the ‘Cuse improved its mark to 4-1.

In the first half, it was evident that the Orange was the superior team, as it constantly pressured the Red defense. Syracuse peppered Cornell with five shots on net. The hosts also earned eight corner kicks, evidence of its overall offensive domination. Yet, for the first twenty-five minutes of the match, the Orangewomen were stymied by the incredible play of Thomas and the defensive unit in front of her.

Sensing that her team needed an offensive lift, Syracuse head coach April Kater substituted freshman Natalie Galas into the contest in the 24th minute. That move immediately paid dividends, as Galas tallied the only score of the match just two minutes later.

On the play, sophomore midfielder Erica Mastrogiacomo placed a perfect pass onto the foot of Galas who deftly lifted the ball over Thomas. Also receiving an assist on the play was sophomore defender Courtney Spencer.

The Red tried to equalize in the second half but was unable to capitalize on the chances that it had. Syracuse freshman keeper Shannon Myers played a stellar game, making four saves for her second shutout of the year.

Head coach Berhane Andeberhan has stressed team defense and competitiveness this year, and it appears that his team achieved both those goals last night. The revamped defense allowed just one goal to a national power that has beaten the likes of Buffalo by a 4-0 score. Furthermore, Cornell held tough for the full ninety minutes and made the Orangewomen earn the W.

If Cornell can continue to perform as well as it did last night, the wins will eventually come. Its next test will be the Ivy opener on Saturday against Yale in New Haven, Conn.

Archived article by Alex Ip