S.A., CIT May Work Together on Website

Representatives in the Student Assembly (S.A.) yesterday debated implementing a new website, and also addressed the possible use of computer desktop wallpapers in Cornell Information Technologies’ (CIT) labs to publicize student elections.

In his resolution, Michael Matly ’03, vice president of public relations, proposed launching a website where students could address their opinions on various subjects to S.A. representatives. These letters would be read during the open microphone portion of each S.A. meeting.

Matly linked the site to his past campaign experience.

“There seems to be an apathy for the Student Assembly on campus,” he said. “When I tried to get votes [last year], people didn’t think that we were concerned with their needs. [The website is] supposed to get people to communicate to us.”

Some members voiced concerns about the effectiveness of the website.

“I’m not sure if this is the way to go about it,” Joshua Roth ’03 said. “The [S.A.] site already has our web addresses, phone numbers. I don’t know if the University would let us have a link from the [official University] web site to this.”

Michael Wacht ’02 was particularly concerned about cost issues. “I’m very concerned about who is going to maintain it, how much it’s going to cost,” he said.

The S.A. voted to accept the resolution, adding amendments that the website would be funded through the communications committee budget and would be a joint-venture with the CIT committee of the S.A.

“I think that the idea of this is a ‘hot mine,'” said Michael Sellman ’04, vice president of internal operations. “I don’t see any reason to stifle outreach to the community.”

Matly stressed the necessity for the additional web site.

“Students sometimes don’t feel like they have a voice. This is the first step for more student relations on campus. It will be independent from the S.A. site so that students will easily remember it,” he said.

S.A. members also passed a resolution commending the success of the Red Cross phonathon. Approximately 300 students participated in the phonathon last weekend and on Monday. About $20,000 was raised for the National Disaster Relief Fund in the aftermath of the terrorist plane crashes in New York City, Washington D.C. and Shanksville, Penn.

“This sort of pulling together as the Student Assembly is the crux of our strength,” said Michael Moschella ’02, vice president of finance.

The last piece of business for the evening was the possible use of CIT computers for advertising student news such as information on student elections. The department already uses computer desktop wallpapers to publicize CIT events. The S.A. debated whether the computer wallpapers could be used for publicity of their organizations Current CIT policies restrict other student groups from using the wallpapers for advertisements.

Members discussed a resolution asking CIT to review their rules.

“[S.A. elections] are an electronic election,” said Mark Greenbaum ’02, vice president director of elections. “The space should be public domain.”

Archived article by Kelly Samuels