Volleyball Hosts Four

With collegiate athletics returning to normalcy, along with the rest of the nation this weekend, the volleyball team will look and try to regain the same form which saw it challenge for the Ivy League title last year.

Despite a tumultuous start that took the team and nation by surprise, the women will try to stay on track when it plays Fairleigh-Dickinson and Manhattan College tomorrow and St. Francis and SUNY-Stony Brook Sunday. At the season opening Kent State invitational, a host of injuries contributed to a 1-3 finish. Last weekend, two scheduled games in the nation’s capital were canceled due to the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11th.

On Tuesday evening, the women returned to the court after an almost two week hiatus with a trip to upstate rival Colgate. Led by the powerful outside hitter duo of senior Jennifer Borncamp and sophomore Debbie Quibell, the Red notched up a solid straight set victory (30-28, 30- 23, 30-27) over the hosts. Borncamp tallied 15 kills, while Quibell recorded a double-double of 13 kills and 11 digs. Starting setter Rachel Rice missed the game due to injury, but senior Jaimee Reynolds filled in by providing 36 assists.

Going into the weekend’s matches head coach Christie Jackson’s squad boasts a 2-3 overall record, as she hopes to raise the Red above .500. Tomorrow will open the team’s first homestand of the season with matches held in Newman Arena at Bartels Hall at 12:00 and 6:00 p.m. against Fairleigh-Dickinson and Manhattan, respectively. Sunday’s will also take place on East Hill as the Red face off against St. Francis at 11:00 a.m. proceeded by a 5:00 game against Stony Brook.

Archived article by Soo Kim