W. Soccer Team Looks to Add on to Perfect Season

After an exciting weekend that saw Cornell women’s soccer win its Ivy league opener at Yale in overtime, the booters will host Patriot League rival Colgate today at 7p.m.

Saturday’s game against the Bulldogs ended when Sarah Olsen put away the game’s first and only goal two and a half minutes into overtime. The Red looks to carry that momentum into today’s game against a tough Raiders squad.

“We’re all really excited right now after such a tough win,” commented junior Caitlin Ramsey, “and now we get to show that in our home opener [tonight] under the lights.”

Tonight’s game is an important test for a Cornell team that seems to be hitting its stride at a unusually early point in its season. With a victory tonight, the Red can match last year’s win total, just four games into its 2001 campaign.

The Red has been particularly strong on the defensive side of the ball having allowed only one goal to date. That singular goal came against a nationally-ranked Syracuse team last Wednesday.

The key to Cornell’s defensive prowess has been the work of freshmen goalkeeper Katie Thomas. Thomas has registered a shutout in each of the Red’s wins and boasts an impressive .944 save percentage.

Caitlin Ramsey, who earned the university-wide Athlete of the Week award two weekends ago, has also played a major role in the squad’s success. Ramsey currently leads the Red in shots on goal with 8 and has been a leader in the backfield as well.

Colgate also brings a strong defensive game to East Hill led by a dynamite talent in goal. Junior keeper Jenny Molina was the Patriot League’s Player of the Week two weeks ago and is a definite force between the posts. Molina has recorded one shutout on the year and holds a .853 save percentage.

Leading the offensive attack for the Raiders is senior Mandy Palladino. Palladino leads her team with 8 points and a .583 shots on goal percentage.

Colgate is currently 2-2-1, having most recently lost to Columbia 4-0 last Friday night. The Raiders two wins came against Vermont and Long Island University.

The Red expects a defensive battle and will need to capitalize on any offensive chances it can create. If it can keep the ball on the Raider’s side of the field and keep Molina active, a third win could likely be the result.

Tonight’s battle of the CUs will take place at the Charles F. Berman field on the Cornell campus. The Red will look to reacquaint itself to its homefield before going on to host Stony Brook this weekend.

Archived article by Scott Jones