Subterranean Style

When the chill of autumn causes your thong sandals to run for cover, but your wool sweaters are still hibernating in your drawer, turn to one of Fall’s most eclectic and expansive accessories: the scarf.

Whether wrapped around your shoulders to block out the cold or tied around your waist to perk up that tired pair of jeans, scarves are a relatively inexpensive, stylish, and versatile addition to your wardrobe. They come in oodles of colors, prints, materials, shapes, and weaves; some have fringe, some have beading, and you’d be amazed at the places you can find to wear them.

Scarves are great for adding a little color to a bland or monochromatic outfit, improving a bad hair day, or cozying up your neck. Fringed and crocheted scarves work well when tied to one side around your waist with the tassels dancing happily at your thigh. Scarves like these also substitute as necklaces for a fun, casual, vintage look.

For a fraction of the cost, scarves are a sure way to create style. And with so many varieties, it can be a style all your own. Get wrapped up in the possiblities.

Name Elaine Tseng

Class 2003

College Hotel

Major Finance

What one word describes your style?

Energetic.

Who or what do you look to for personal inspiration?

Something that gives me energy.

What’s your major source for style?

I buy all kinds of stuff. Some expensive, some really cheap like at a flea market. It doesn’t matter as long as it’s a mixture of styles that other people don’t have.

What’s hot?

Leather and scarves.

What’s not?

High-heeled boots.

Name Emily Spratt

Class Undefined

College ITD

Major Human Development

What one word describes your style?

Bizarrely eclectic.

I look to nature and to myself for inspiration.

What’s your major source for style?

Whatever feels good combined with nature and anything that makes you want to start dancing.If you put it on and you feel like a little funky beat jumping inside of you, you’ve got it.

What’s hot?

Scarves.

What’s not?

Black pants, c’mon ladies, let’s get over this.

Archived article by