Soccer Teams Split Ways

It’s right back to business for the men’s soccer team tomorrow as they travel to New Haven, Conn. Yale lies in the horizon for the Red, as this match will pit two of the upper echelon teams in the Ivy League.

Cornell, Yale and Princeton figure to mix up all season long as they battle for the top spot in the league.

This Cornell/Yale tilt will be the first Ancient Eight conference game of the season for both squads. It goes without saying how important it is to get off to the right start for any in-conference game.

In the latest NCSAA/Adidas national polls, the Elis are perched up as the No. 24 team in the country.

“[Yale] plays the same type of game [as us]… they keep the ball moving and play the game down at the feet,” said head coach Bryan Scales.

What makes Yale dangerous is their talented personnel. They beat the No. 9 team in the country, Alabama-Birmingham, 2-1 in overtime earlier this year.

“This will be a good game… we match up very well against them in terms of personnel… we have some good guys, they have some good guys,” said Scales.

The lucky ones who make it to New Haven this Saturday should witness a spirited match. A well conditioned Cornell team will come in fired up after a let down this past Tuesday in a 3-0 loss to St. Bonaventure where Cornell came out flat.

Being a midweek game, it was not an easy game to get up for. It was at an odd time, it was on a weekday and it was non-conference. Fortunately, this game is everything that the St. Bonaventure match was not. The game is on a Saturday under the lights, in the traditional motif of an Ivy League soccer contest.

Scales said, “I’ve got full confidence in our guys… I trust my back four against anyone.”

After a good week of practices and a new intense resolve, the Red will look to pull one out on the road.

Archived article by Donald Lee