X-C to Race At Iona Invite

Neither the men’s or women’s cross-country teams have lost yet this year. After demolishing Army, Marist and Binghamton at home on Sept. 7, they both then waltzed into Monmouth University last weekend and swept fields of 15 and 18 teams, respectively.

With the cream puff competition now behind them, the teams will enter the national stage tomorrow when they compete at the Iona Invitational at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

Also expected to attend are Villanova, Michigan, Boston College, Bowling Green, Boston University as well as Heptagonal members Yale, Brown, Harvard and Dartmouth in addition to several other local schools.

Though coming early in the season, the meet has NCAA ramifications.

“When the NCAAs start to look at picking teams for at-large bids, this weekend is where they start,” said Lou Duesing, head coach of the women.

In a more regional perspective, however, the Iona meet will also provide the Red with it’s first look at Heps competition.

“From a Heps standpoint, it’s going to be good to get a feel for how we stack up against them,” Duesing added.

Having performed perfectly so far in the season, both teams should be riding tidal waves of confidence into Iona.

“The quality of work they’ve done is outstanding,” Duesing said.

“Most of the guys are feeling good,” added men’s coach Nathan Taylor. “They’re excited about the opportunity to compete.”

All the guys want to challenge themselves.”

Leading the men into action will be seniors Max King, Dan Meehan, Dan Dombroski and Andy Boone. King has already won both races he’s competed in.

For the women, Carlan Gray, Lena Mathews and Jessica Parrott.

As for the course, Taylor acknowledges that it won’t be one of the Red’s easiest.

“Van Cortlandt is deceptively difficult,” he said. “The hills come at the most inopportune times.”

The teams will next be in action October 13 at the Pre-National meet in Greenville, S.C.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj