Field Hockey Splits Weekend Matches

The field hockey team continued to post impressive results this weekend.. First, on Friday in its home opener, Cornell soundly defeated Columbia 3-2, with junior Sarah Rosenbaum scoring two goals. Then yesterday it almost defeated sixth-ranked Michigan State, falling only after a late run by the Spartans.

Against the Lions, the Red fell behind when Columbia’s Nikki Campbell scored on a penalty corner early in the first half.

But then Cornell responded with two unanswered goals. Rosenbaum tied the score at 23:43 when she redirected a pass from junior Samantha Ade to beat the Columbia netminder.

Rosenbaum wasn’t done though. She struck again nearly 20 minutes later off a pass from classmate Kimmy Gardner.

These goals were Rosenbaum’s fourth and fifth of the season.

Columbia tied the game, but the Red answered right back when Gardner blasted the game winning goal at 48:25.

The defense then held up its end of the bargain: goalie Kaitlin Tierney made a diving stick save and junior Sarah Nordstrom made a great defensive save.

The win gave the Red its fifth overall victory and second within the Ivies.

Riding confidence from its win over the Lions, the Red then faced Spartans yesterday.

Though this match had no statistical significance, a win against top national team would have given the Red huge momentum with big Ivy League games coming up.

The Red came flying out of the gates, as sophomore Lindsey Grace scored an unassisted goal just 49 seconds in to the contest.

The Red was up 3-2 with 15 minutes left thanks to two straight goals by Carissa Mirasol at 5:04 and 39:58, respectively, but the Spartans surged, and pulled ahead at the 57:00 mark when Julie Adams scored on a penalty stroke. Michigan State sealed the deal at 62:04 on a goal by Annebet Beerman, ending what could have been a huge upset by the Red.

Cornell returns home on Wednesday to face Colgate at 7 p.m. The next Ivy match for the Red will be Sunday when it travels to face Penn.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto