Subterranean Style

With the birth and blossoming adolescence of the Internet, the world is our marketplace. The World Wide Web has effectively created the World Wide Mall, where consumers may buy anything from virtually anywhere at anytime.

With such a vast vista of style options, why limit yourself to the American brick and mortar staple stores? Sure, the Gap, J.Crew, and Urban Outfitters are great for basics, but why limit your playing field when global style is so much more fun?!

Instead of waiting for that Spring Break jaunt beyond the borders of Jeans-and-T-shirt Land, try out some style globe-trotting now by searching the Web for stores from around the world.

If you feel squimmish about jumping into a sari or kimono around campus, start off small with a piece like a necklace from Africa, or a leather gaucho belt from South America.

Name Esosa Edosomwan

Class 2004

College Human Ecology

Major Apparel Design

What one word describes your style?

Unique or ethnic.

Who or what do you look to for personal inspiration?

My parents are Nigerian so my culture and my parents are an inspiration. I have a thing with African jewelry, beads, and fabrics.

What’s your major source for style?

I get a lot of my jewelry from different places like Hawaii. And my mother got me some cool necklaces from Cuba. My favorite store is, I think, Urban Outfitters. I like to mix it up though. I don’t like to only shop there.

What’s hot?

Denim.

What’s not?

The outdoorsy look.

Name Lauren Mikulski

Class 2004

College ILR

Major Undecided

What one word describes your style?

Eccentric.

An inner source, my own motivation.

What’s your major source for style?

It would probably be SoHo New York.

What’s hot?

Being different; definitely not copying anyone else’s style. Mixing things that you normally would not.

What’s not?

Definitely mixing plaids and prints. It’s just not a good thing to do.

Archived article by