Cornell to Play Pride Bowl Game

Coming off a convincing 27-6 victory over Princeton on Sept. 29, the sprint football team (1-1, 1-1 CSFL) looks to build on its success against Navy (2-1, 0-1) this Sunday in the Pride Bowl at Riverfront Stadium in Newark, N. J. The annual game is played between teams in the Collegiate Sprint Football League to benefit Project Pride, a not-for-profit organization whose goal is to raise funds for the benefit of underprivileged children in Newark.

The organization was founded by Newark Star-Ledger columnist Jerry Izenberg and for the past 22 years has helped kids in New Jersey achieve success in higher education. As the team with the highest team GPA of all Cornell varsity sports, it is appropriate that the sprints participate in this worthy cause.

This is the first time that the Red will be playing in the Pride Bowl. This invitation was supported in large part by Dr. Dwane Dyson, a sprint alum and influential member of the Newark community.

Head coach Terry Cullen hopes to continue playing tenacious defense following the strong performance against Princeton which saw the Red record three sacks, three interceptions and 107 tackles. In order to beat a tough Navy team, a strong defensive effort will be a necessity.

“Navy is a very good offensive team,” said Cullen, “They come out with a wide open game plan.”

The key to the game will be the first quarter, according to Cullen. If the Red defense can neutralize the Navy attack and the Midshipmen’s quarterback Chris Ashinhurst during that period, the Cornell offense should be able to gain a rhythm and greatly improve the team’s chances for victory.

“It would be nice to be 0-0 after the first period,” remarked Cullen.

Following a successful ground attack against Princeton, the Red offense will hope to utilize more of its passing game. This will place more pressure on senior quarterback Sunil Gupta. However, it will also allow Cornell to use a more varied offensive strategy, thus keeping the Navy defense on its toes.

The sprints are 12-41-2 all time against Navy. The Midshipmen won last year’s contest, 28-12.

Archived article by Owen Bochner