Looking to Climb to Ivy League Top, Red Hosts Crimson

The Cornell field hockey team will hope to rebound from its 3-2 OT loss to Syracuse Wednesday night when it faces off against Harvard on Sunday on Schoellkopf Field at 12 p.m.

Wednesday evening, Syracuse jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. It held the lead for seven minutes until sophomore Carissa Mirasol netted one for the Red, tying the game at 1-1. Playing flawless field hockey and offensively charging the Orangewomen, the Red was able to score the go-ahead goal, courtesy of Mirasol. The Red went into halftime up 2-1 against No. 19 Syracuse.

As the Red came out for the second half, it kept the Orangewomen in check and played quite conservatively. However, Syracuse was able to tie the game at two late in the second half and sent the game to sudden death overtime. At 79:25, Syracuse netted the game winner and handed the Red its fourth defeat of the season.

“We played out of our minds,” head coach Michelle Tambroni said of her team’s effort, noting that Syracuse easily vanquished Cornell last season.

The Red is coming into Sunday’s game with an overall record of 7-4. Harvard is coming off an impressive victory against 19th-ranked Northwestern, which puts the Crimson over .500 for the year at a record of 5-4.

“They have a great counterattack,” Tambroni said of Harvard. “But player for player, we match up with them.”

The Red must play a clean game with minimal turnovers and an offensively minded game plan to attack the defense of Harvard.

“If we play like we did [Wednesday night], we have a possibility of beating Harvard,” Tambroni said.

The Red will look to senior Ashleigh Snelson and junior Sarah Rosenbaum to lead the attack and weaken the Crimson defense.

In their one contest against Harvard last season, the Crimson came away with a 5-1 victory over the Red.

But if Cornell can turn the tables this year, Tambroni believes it could be a watershed moment in the season and a critical step in the Red’s path to an Ivy League title.

“It’ll be a turning point,” she said.

Archived article by Andrew Knauer