W. Tennis Has turn at ECACs

The schedule for Ivy League women’s tennis is a funny thing. Despite playing the majority of their matches during the Spring season, Ivy netters only get one shot at postseason play — this weekend’s ECAC Championships. The event, featuring 16 of the nation’s top Division 1 teams, will be held on Ivy turf, at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey.

The Red women should be comfortable in Tiger territory, as Princeton served as the site of their season opener earlier this fall.

The action begins today and continues through Sunday, with the Red seeded sixth. Top seeded University of Virginia is looking to defend its title.

The Cornell netwomen are optimistic about this weekend after a successful fall season that saw a variety of players post impressive victories. At the Cissie Leary Invitational two weeks ago the women won four of their six first round singles matches and sent one doubles team to the second round as well.

Sophomore Laura Leigh Tallent and junior Daniela DelPrete will continue to lead the way in singles play, with freshmen Erika Takeuchi and Akane Kokubo looking to contribute as well. Doubles action will feature a lot of the same faces, as DelPrete will hit the courts with classmate and captain Suzanne Wright, and the second team will most likely pair Tallent and Takeuchi.

The Red is young, but experienced, and several of the netwomen have a good shot at making their way to the finals on Sunday. Maybe the sun shining in Ithaca will make its way to Jersey too, where the Princeton courts will be the site of some very hot competition.

Archived article by Sarah Spain