Golf Takes 16th at Stabler Invitational

The youth led the men’s golf team this past weekend at the Stabler Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa.

The Red shot 313-327, totaling 640 to finish 16th in the 20-school field. Home team Lehigh earned the top spot, hitting 296-287 for a seven over par 583.

Cornell freshman Justin Howe broke 80 two days in a row, driving his way to a 77 and then a 79 on the par 72 course. His final score of 156 earned him a 45th place finish in the tournament, tying him with sophomore teammate Justin Watzka as the Red’s top finisher.

Watzka fired a very solid 72 in the first round, putting him in a tie for sixth place at the end of the day, before finishing with a final round of 84. The final element of the youth movement, sophomore Matt Rymer, shot 79-81 — for a total of 160 to earn a tie for 64th place.

Lehigh’s Bowen Osborn smashed his way to the individual championship, lighting up the course with a first round 69 and a second round 70 to finish the tournament at five under par.

Junior Justin Gatwood (85-83, t-88th) and senior captain Dave Nayak (85-85, t-94th) rounded out Cornell’s squad.

The Stabler Invitational concludes the Red’s fall season which saw consistent contributions from Watzka, Rymer, Gatwood and Nayak.

Archived article by Matt James