M. Soccer Ties Green

The men’s soccer team (5-4-3 overall, 0-3-3 Ivy) scored two unanswered goals to tie Dartmouth (5-6-2, 1-3-1) yesterday afternoon, 2-2. Nonetheless, the Red is still looking for its first in-conference win of the season.

Two of the Red’s team leaders scored on penalty kicks. Junior team captain and defender Liam Hoban scored his second goal of the fall campaign in the 35th minute and senior forward Ted Papadopoulos notched his team-leading fifth score in the 58th minute.

Hoban capitalized on a handball call in the box and converted the first penalty kick. Papadopoulos was awarded his penalty kick opportunity after weaving through two defenders and then getting tripped in the box.

This was another classic Ivy League embittered contest as Dartmouth came out aggressively and threw the first punches of the match. Sophomore midfielder Seth Eaton found the net for the fourth time this season at the 28th minute. Soon after, senior midfielder Danny Markman tallied his second goal of the season during the 29th minute. But after that it was all Cornell as junior goalkeeper Doug Allan shutout the Green for the remainder of the game.

“I think when Doug looks back at the tape, he’s going to feel that he should have had those [two goals],” said head coach Bryan Scales. “We gave away two goals at the beginning and we didn’t help ourselves.”

Those two quick back-to-back goals would have shaken most young teams, but Cornell rallied and earned the draw despite being outshot 22-9 and getting eight fewer corner kicks than Dartmouth.

“I have to give credit to Dartmouth, they came out hard and had the better scoring opportunities. We struggled out of the gate, but it says a lot about our team in being able to bounce back from a two goal deficit — something that we hadn’t done this season,” said Scales.

Two positive notes came from the game: first, the Red could have thrown in the towel, but it acted bouncing back for the tie.

Second, Allan had another double-digit save performance and kept Cornell in the game with 11 saves and two in overtime. Across the field, senior goalkeeper Ben Gebre-Medhin recorded five stops.

Scales concluded, “We were a little bit tentative in closing guys down, but all season long, we have found ways to dig ourselves out of holes.”

The Red will have one last chance to erase the zero in the Ivy win column Saturday at home on Berman Field against the Columbia Lions. But first, it will travel to Syracuse tomorrow to take on the Orangemen at 7 p.m.

Archived article by Donald Lee