Cross Country Makes Run at Nat'ls

Max King can officially call up his favorite airline and book a flight to Greenville, S.C., for Nov.19’s NCAA national cross-country meet. But the women’s team will have to wait until the selection committee confers today to choose its at-large teams for the national championship.

At the Northeast regional race this Saturday in Boston, Mass., King finished seventh in the men’s race, fighting off Buffalo’s Jerimie Slick to nab the fourth and final national individual qualifying spot.

“He ran pretty well,” men’s head coach Nathan Taylor said. “He was very much in control of the guy he beat.”

The women, who finished fourth as a team at regionals, are well placed to earn an at-large bid considering their strong national standing and solid performances against stiff competition this year.

While King and the top women could be at nationals next week, the rest of the squad’s will be split between IC4As (men) and the ECACs (women), both in New York, N.Y., next Saturday.

“I think they’re pretty good,” said women’s head coach Lou Duesing about his team’s chances at a bid.

Freshman Kate Boyles, junior Carlan Gray, senior Lena Mathews, freshman Amber McGown and Jessica Parrott scored for the Red. Boyles and Gray both earned spots on the all-regional team.

“I don’t know, as team, if we’ve run better all year,” Duesing said.

He was most proud of his team’s pack-like mentality. Runners one through five were separated by less than 30 seconds.

Boston College won the women’s race, followed by Providence and Brown.

Duesing, who is on the NCAA selection committee, said that it would make at-large choices primarily based on how prospective teams have fared against top competition.

“What that filters out is a hierarchy,” Duesing said.

The men, who have been decimated by injuries this year to top runners, claimed seventh overall at regionals. King, Dan Dombroski, John Corley, Barry Kahn and John Goldsmith scored for Cornell.

“I thought the guys responded well to not performing particularly well at Heps,” said Taylor, in reference to the men’s eighth-place finish at the Heptagonal Championships.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj