W. Swimming Defeats D'mouth, Falls to Harvard

The women’s swimming and diving team returned from Hanover, N.H., with a solid 1-1 record to open the season. The Red swam against Ivy foes Dartmouth and Harvard in Karl Michael Pool. Cornell defeated the Big Green 170-130 and fell to the Crimson 230-70.

In the dual-meet, the Red won one event overall, the 400 freestyle relay. The team of sophomore Megan Gutman, freshman Elissa Kline, senior Kari Tornabene and freshman Sydney Freas took the event with a time of 3:39.32.

Kline quickly made her presence known by also scoring two second-place finishes, in the 100 free (54.10) and in the 200 free (1:56.85). She also finished fifth in the 500 free. She was the top scorer for the Red, tallying 29.75 points for Cornell.

Senior co-captain Shayne Geneva also nabbed two second-places. She dominated the breast events for the Red, finishing in 1:08.46 and 2:25.53, in the 100 and 200, respectively. She was the second-highest scorer for Cornell.

Three other rookies had strong showings for the Red. Meredith Blackman was Cornell’s top finisher in the 200 butterfly, Freas came in fourth place in the 50 free and Alyson Melin took fifth in the 200 IM.

“We had 27 best times out of 44 swims. I would have liked more, but I was very impressed,” stated head coach Marrie Neumer.

Harvard dominated the meet by winning 13 of 16 events, losing only a relay to the Red and both diving events to Dartmouth’s Danielle Fritze.

Junior diver Elizabeth Druy scored well on both the one- and three-meter boards, nabbing fifth and third, respectively.

“Harvard showed itself to be one of the top teams in the league. I felt we had a great meet against Dartmouth, though. Our freshmen, especially Kline and Melin, had great showings,” Neumer praised.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko