Body of Student Found in Gorge

The Ithaca Police Department released a statement yesterday reporting that the body of a white male was removed from the Cascadilla gorge beneath the Stewart Ave. bridge.

IPD Lieutenant David J. Nazer confirmed that the victim was a Cornell student and his identification is being withheld until his family is notified.

The student was 21 years old, the statement said, and the cause of death has not been released.

A passerby walking through the gorge, under the 400 block of Stewart Ave. saw the body at approximately 7:05 a.m. yesterday and immediately notified local authorities. When the rescue teams arrived, they found that the victim was deceased, according to the release.

Linda Grace-Kobas, director of the Cornell News Service, confirmed that the passerby was a Cornell employee who saw the body and reported it to the police.

“It’s a sad time for something like this to happen,” said Grace-Kobas.

The Ithaca Fire Department, the Cornell Police Department and Bangs Ambulance, along with IPD removed the victim’s body from the gorge yesterday.

Foul play is not suspected at this time, according to the release, but IPD will continue the investigation with the help of the CUPD. Another report may be released when the family has been notified, according to Nazer.

This is the second gorge accident this semester. In October, a student fell into the Cascadilla gorge near the College Ave. bridge. The student was recovered and suffered injuries.

Archived article by Sun Staff