W. Riders to Battle Skidmore

The Cornell women’s polo team hosts Skidmore College tonight at Oxley Equestrian Center in a matchup of regional foes. The Red (8-1) returns to action following a two-week hiatus after its fourth straight victory in the annual Bill Field Invitational Tournament.

Head coach David Eldredge ’81 anticipates a rather easy match against a relatively inexperienced Skidmore squad.

“We’ll probably see a lot of the same things as in the Yale game,” he said of the team’s strategy against Skidmore. Eldredge expects that many of the bench players will see a lot of playing time, particularly in the second half.

The men’s polo team was originally scheduled to play tomorrow night against the Thoroughbred men, but Skidmore was forced to forfeit the match due to several injuries to key players. Instead, the Cornell men (5-4) will play the Cornell women in an exhibition match.

The women’s polo team, led by All-Americans senior Melissa Riggs and junior Taylor McLean, is a perennial powerhouse with aspirations to repeat as national champions. Senior captain Javier Alcover and sophomore standouts Jeff Markle and Senter Johnson lead the rebuilding men’s team. The all-Cornell affair should be an intriguing matchup between Red squads that have historically dominated the collegiate polo scene.

Eldredge said, “Both the men and women are looking forward to the match.”

Archived article by Owen Bochner