Equestrian Breathes Down Skidmore's Neck

Yesterday the equestrian team had a strong yet bittersweet showing on its own turf, placing second in the Cornell show, and just one point behind archrival Skidmore. Cornell finished with 39 points while Skidmore collected 40. Colgate came in third with 33, followed by Morrisville 26, Hartwick 25, Ithaca College 25, Binghamton 23, Cobleskill 21, Rensselaer 8.

“We were expecting to win today at our own show. The match was close all through the day. Nobody took a commanding lead. It came right down to the last few classes,” head coach Chris Mitchell said.

He added, “It is difficult to host a show and ride well.” As the coach explained, the team has to do a lot of preparation before the match, such as cleaning, organizing and setting up the course. This was only complicated by the polo match held at Oxley the night before.

Despite the close loss “everybody on the team ran well” Mitchell. Sophomore Jeannette Pettit who qualified for Regionals two weeks ago in the intermediate flat, equaled the feat in intermediate fences after taking first place. Her classmate Noelle Battle is not far behind. She had an impressive show placing taking third in the intermediate fences and first in the intermediate flat. She is now close to qualifying for Regionals in both classes and may do so next week at Morrisville.

Senior tri-captain Julie Canter, the high point rider in the open division, recovered from a sixth place finish the open flat to win the open fence division. Fellow senior tri-captains Zoe Oreki and Helen O’Brien placed third and second in the open flat and sixth and third in the open fences, respectively. Sophomore Kieva Iscol, riding in her second show, rode extremely well, winning her open flat division.

Freshman Erica Rosen won her division in the intermediate fences while placing fourth in the intermediate flats.

Fellow rookie Kate Reynolds placed first in her intermediate flat division.

In the novice division junior Arianna Tunsky-Brashich, another point rider for the Red, placed second in both novice fences and novice flats. She paced a number of strong finishes coming from sophomore Alaina Hoffman (first in novice fences) and freshman Julie Peck (second in novice flat).

In the advanced walk trot division, sophomore Eva Conant took first place in her division. In the beginner walk trot sophomore Lindsey Campell placed first in her division, as did senior Patty Kahwaty. Erin Goodrich the point rider for the division took second place.

“I am really proud of the girls and how they performed today. We are not going to let today’s show keep us from going to Morrisville and cutting our deficit to Skidmore,” Mitchell said.

The Red will look to cut Skidmore’s lead in the region at its next show in Morrisville next weekend.

Archived article by Chris Callanan