Riders Set Sights On Morrisville

The equestrian team, coming off a strong showing at its own show this past weekend, will hit the road and head to the Morrisville show. It is its fourth show of the season for the team and the last of this semester. The Red finished in second place last week with 11 riders finishing first in their respective divisions. It placed one point behind the eventual winner Skidmore.

“We were confident with the way the team rode,” senior tri-captain Julie Canter said. “The one point could have come from anywhere. It was really a close match.”

The result from the show leaves Cornell in sole possession of second place in the league — 12 points behind Skidmore. However, only the top team from the league advances to Zones. Due this fact, Cornell will look to gain any ground on arch rival Skidmore with five shows left in the season.

To do this the Red will look to have another strong showing throughout all the divisions. Senior tri-captains Canter, Helen O’Brien and Zoe Oreki will all look to have strong showings this weekend in the open division. Junior Kate Cornell will aid them. After an impressive showing on East Hill last weekend, sophomore Noelle Battle (third in the intermediate fences and first in the intermediate flat), is close to qualifying for regionals in both classes, and she will likely do so at Morrisville.

In the novice division junior sensation Arianna Tunsky-Brashich will likely be the point rider for both the flat and fences. She has two first finishes and one second place finish on the season in each of the divisions. Sophomore Alaina Hoffman and freshman Julie Pech will also ride in the novice division.

In the advanced walk-trot-canter division sophomores Eva Conant and Emi Knafo will be riding. In the beginner walk-trot, sophomores Lindsey Campell and Bonnie Arzuaga will show. Finally, in the walk-trot, freshmen Erin Goodrich and Linda Nguyen will represent the Red.

As head coach Chris Mitchell summed up the show this weekend, he stated, “Our goal is to cut the deficit to Skidmore, to take some points away from them in the standings. It would be nice finish the semester with a strong showing.”

Archived article by Chris Callanan