W. Basketball Hosts Cornell Classic

With the annual Cornell Classic looming this weekend, the women’s basketball team will be looking to address its inconsistent play in a bid to repeat its triumph of last season. The two-day tournament will also provide the women with an opportunity to revitalize their season.

Expectations had been running high in pre-season, with the Red (2-5) coming off a solid 15-12 campaign from last year.

However, early performances have been more enigmatic than convincing. While the team has shown flashes of its huge potential, it has failed to put in enough complete performances. This inconsistency has been especially glaring in the team’s free throw shooting, which has ranged from being nearly flawless (20-for-26 against Albany) to subpar (5-for-17 against Binghamton).

Despite the early problems, the Red heads into the Cornell Classic on a high, following its most convincing performance of the season. In a 65-54 win away at St. Francis on Monday night, senior guard Do Stevens reached a personal milestone, becoming just the ninth player in Cornell history to score 1000 points.

More importantly, she was instrumental in leading the Red to just its second win of the season. The women will look to sustain this momentum, as Centenary (4-3), Coppin State (2-4) and Delaware (3-1) make the trip to Ithaca this weekend.

The opening games today will feature the Red against Centenary and Coppin State squaring off against Delaware. Centenary will be led by sophomore forward Alexis Pettway, who is averaging 13.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per contest. Given that the Red has conceded five double-doubles in five games, the 6-0 Pettway looks to be a legitimate threat.

Cornell will once again be led by the senior duo of Stevens (14.7 points, 7.1 rebounds) and Breean Walas (9.6 points), along with impressive sophomore Karen Force (12.4 points, 3.3 assists). The winners of today’s match-

ups will then meet in the final tomorrow evening.

In the 2000 edition of the tournament, the Red rode the shooting of Stevens to stage a thrilling final win against Bucknell. Stevens, who was named the MVP of the 2000 Cornell Classic, poured in 20 points to help the

Red to a narrow 75-74 victory.

The conclusion of the Cornell Classic will usher in a three-week break for the women, before the season resumes with a hectic schedule over the New Year. The Red plays away at Stetson (Dec. 29) and Bethune Cookman

(Dec. 31), returns home against San Francisco (Jan. 4) and then goes away to Lafayette (Jan. 7). The eagerly awaited Ivy League contests begin Jan. 11, as Cornell entertains Brown and Yale in back-to-back home encounters.

Archived article by Soo Kim