Swimmers in Action Against Lions, Bears

As the weather outside is sending us indoors, one place to head is Teagle Pool, where the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams are heating things up.

The women’s team (3-4, 1-4 Ivy) faces off against Ivy rivals Brown and Columbia at noon. It is well rested after a scheduled Wednesday meet against Binghamton was canceled due to electrical problems at its pool. The women have been able to concentrate on training this past week, coming off a solid win over Colgate last weekend. This is the squad’s last opportunity for league competition before the Ivy Championships in three weeks.

While the women are focused on the big meet, Brown and Columbia are strong teams. Brown is 3-2 on the season including 3-1 in the Ivy League. The Bears beat Harvard and Penn, two teams that defeated the Red. However, Brown did lose to Princeton, which also beat Cornell. The Bears are coming off a 155-78 win over Penn.

Columbia (4-3, 1-3 Ivy) may be a more manageable opponent. Like the Red, the Lions lost to Harvard, Penn, and Yale, and beat Dartmouth. However, they are riding the wave of their 197-91 rout of Army two weeks ago.

The men (4-3, 2-3 EISL) will be swimming against Brown following the women’s meet on tomorrow and will face Columbia on Sunday at noon. The men are swimming even faster than expected, posting best times well before the championships.

Brown (3-3, 3-2 EISL) will be a fierce competitor. It beat Penn, which edged out the Red early in the season. The Bears won all 11 swimming events against the Quakers, another strong league team. Columbia (3-3, 1-2) also lost to Penn, as well as Navy, which the Red and Brown both posted victories against. The Lions have problems with their lack of depth, which the freshman-rich Red should take advantage of.

The men’s team is coming off a resounding defeat of Colgate. The Red swept most of the events and even set a pool record.

This league contest, along with two EISL meets next weekend, will prepare the team for the championships next month.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko