Tracksters Host Yale

Tomorrow Cornell’s men’s and women’s track and field squads look to build upon last weekend’s impressive victories over Harvard and Brown, when they host Ivy League foe Yale. While both Red teams are looking towards the Heptagonal championships later this month, tomorrow’s dual meet will provide Cornell’s tracksters with another opportunity to demonstrate their superiority over an Ivy League opponent, something upon which they place special importance.

The men’s team, having already recorded victories over Penn, Harvard, and Brown is confident of yet another victory against an Ivy rival. Although the men’s team has been hampered by injuries, the Red hasbeen carried by the strength of its field events’ competitors irand standout performances by key runners throughout the season, with its sole loss coming against national power Penn State. One of Cornell’s key performers, senior co-captain and thrower Jeremy Blanchet, continues his quest to qualify for the nationals, hoping to improve on last week’s throw of 18.18m. Personal ambitions aside, Blanchet commented on the team’s expectations for the upcoming meet and its recent successes.

“Two weeks ago we had no trouble with Penn, and traditionally we have extremely competitive meets with Harvard and Brown, but we defeated them by about 40 points. As a dual meet, Yale should be straightforward and we shouldn’t have any problems, with the field events carrying us to victory,” he said.

In addition to Blanchet’s contributions, Cornell will need continued strong efforts from the likes of senior distance runner Max King, sophomores pole vaulter Travis Offner, and long jumper Jason Hart, among others to defeat Yale. While the Bulldogs represents an important meet, the Red’s eyes are fixed upon this February’s Heptagonals with Blanchet saying, “We have a few keys guys injured, but we’ll be up ther fighting for the championship later this month. Hopefully, we will make a statement this week and an even bigger one at the Heps, winning our first Indoor title since 1978.”

Like the men, Cornell’s lady tracksters hope to continue their successful season, building towards the Heptagonal competition. Yale’s women will present Cornell with a stern test, but a challenge that they look forward to. Head coach Lou Duesing eagerly anticipates Yale’s arrival, stating, “It will be a test. But the team likes it. We enjoy the competition. Our road to being successful goes through New Haven. Brown, Harvard, and Yale have finished ahead of us before, and these are the teams we have to beat to be successful.”

Duesing attributes the women’s squads success to an unusually deep Cornell squad, with many standouts. Just three competitions into the season, they have broken several records, with junior sprinter Katy Jay leading the way. Strong performances have also been put forth by sophomore Hannah Garrity, sophomore Merili Mosley, freshman Jessica Brown, and junior Carlin Gray. Nonetheless, Duesing emphasizes the contributions of all the team, and junior co-captain and shotputter Sarah Herskee concurs with the coach’s assessment, remarking, “We have an amazing team. There is an amazing dynamic among us, and its obvious to know we have high aspirations for the season, hopefully culminating in a Heptagonal championship.”

After this weekends dual meets against Yale, the Red will send a split squad to Penn State next week, with the rest of the team remaining in Ithaca for the Deneault Memorial.

Archived article by Mark Fetzko