Fencers Go 3-1

The fencing team went 3-3 in an action-packed weekend. The squad lost both of its matches on Saturday, only to rebound on Sunday, going 3-1 at Brandeis.

The Big Red began the weekend somewhat inauspiciously, losing at host Harvard, and NYU by scores of 17-10.

Head Coach Al Peters, however, put his team’s performance in a positive light. “There were a lot of 5-4 matches on Saturday,” he points out. “We would have liked to have gotten a win out of it, but both matches were a lot closer than the score reflects.”

On Sunday, the fencers made a short trek to Brandeis, where the results were far closer to what they had hoped for. They defeated Brandeis, Boston College, and Brown, all by the score of 16-11, suffering their only loss of the day to MIT 17-10. Peters anticipated that MIT, much improved from last year, would be a difficult adversary, and its saber squad, in particular, was just a bit too solid. After the six matches this weekend, the epee squad remains undefeated.

Peters attributes this weekend’s 3-3 record and overall solid performance, to his team’s balance and teamwork.

“This weekend was a classic team effort,” he said. “One person would falter, another would step in.”

With the six matches, the Big Red’s record now stands at 4-4. They will be in action next Saturday in Ithaca, against Princeton, James Madison and Fairleigh Dickinson.

Archived article by Andrew Bernie