Track Teams Trample Yale

Women’s track & field gave new meaning to the words “stomping grounds” when it trampled Yale at Barton Hall on Saturday in an 87-35 victory.

“We knew we would dominate the meet,” said head coach Lou Duesing.

Records were set left and right in the women’s fourth meet of the season.

Last year’s MVP, junior Katy Jay, sprinted her way into the school record books with her performance in the 60m dash (7.7 seconds). Sophomore Merili Mosley also set an indoor record in the preliminary hurdles.

Senior miler Lena Mathews and freshman high-jumper Jessica Brown both qualified for the ECAC Championships in March.

The women are gearing up for next weekend, where their top performers will take on 11 other teams at the exclusive Penn State Invitational.

“It’s gonna be hot,” said coach Duesing. “The kids see it as a great opportunity to show their stuff. People are gonna be cookin’.”

Men’s track and field also posted a substantial victory over the Bulldogs, going 95-50 and racking up 11 individual wins.

Sophomore Jason Hart won the long and triple jumps, qualifying for the IC4As in the long jump with a mark of 7.22m.

Other IC4A qualifiers included junior Pete Combe in the shot put and junior Jeremy Blanchet in the weight throw. Sophomore Travis Offner cleared 5.07m in the pole vault, an IC4A-qualifying mark and a new indoor record.

“As a whole, I feel that the team is making a lot of progress,” vaulter Travis Offner said. “I think we’ll be a strong contender at Heps and we’re looking great for the outdoor season.”

Next week, part of the men’s team will head to Penn State, while the rest battle 15 other teams at home in the Kane Invitational.

Archived article by Meredith Long