Rhodes Still Recovering

Frank H. T. Rhodes, Cornell University’s president emeritus, continues to respond well to treatment after being struck by a car Sunday morning, according to Linda Grace-Kobas, director of Cornell News Service.

“We received word earlier this morning that he was making progress,” Grace-Kobas said. Rhodes suffered multiple injuries after being in an automobile accident at his home in Naples, Fla. last Sunday.

Future Plans

The injuries sustained by Rhodes, who served as Cornell President from 1977 through 1995, “will have an impact on his busy travel schedule and upcoming meetings,” according to Grace-Kobas.

However, she was, “not sure of any upcoming events on Cornell’s campus that will have to be modified because of the accident.”

“[Rhodes’] secretary is busy making adjustments to his schedule,” she added.

J. Robert Cooke, dean of the faculty recently met with Rhodes at the Trustee Meeting in New York City held in late January.

Well Wishes

“I worked with [Rhodes] throughout his term as President,” Cooke said. “He was an awesome individual, a Cornellian of first magnitude,” he added.

Prof. Ronald Ehrenburg, labor economics called Rhodes an, “extraordinary president for two decades. [Rhodes] has gone through physical hardships before,” Ehrenburg said, referring to his health problems in 1992-1993.

On behalf of the University Faculty Senate of which he heads, Cooke wanted to, “extend sympathy over the accident and wish him a speedy recovery.”

Archived article by Marc Zawel