Sun Worker Perishes in Car Accident

The Sun lost a valued member of its staff Thursday when Jeremy Armstrong died in a car crash on Hunt Hill Road in Dryden. Armstrong distributed newspapers for four years for The Sun, The Ithaca Journal and The Syracuse Post-Standard.

Armstrong’s Oldsmobile sedan was found overturned in a creek alongside the road after a neighbor and a passerby notified rescue workers of the accident at about 10:30 p.m. Thursday. State Police later determined that he lost control of the car while rounding a curve in the road.

Jeremy was 22 years old. He is survived by his parents, Robert Armstrong and Betty Singer, and his brother, Justin.

Jeremy was an active member in the community and managed to connect with quite a few people while participating in the activities that interested him, Robert said of his son.

Raised in Dryden and schooled at home, Jeremy learned to play the piano at a young age. Later, he developed interests in woodworking at the family’s saw mill and making maple syrup — which he shared with neighbors. Most recently, Jeremy became interested in stock-car racing.

About four years ago when Jeremy acquired a car of his own, he began distributing newspapers with Robert, who has been involved in home delivery for The Sun since 1979.

Jeremy would start his day at 1 a.m. with The Post-Standard. Then, he would take 350 copies of The Journal around Ellis Hollow from 3-6 a.m. By 8 a.m., he would be rounding out the morning by taking The Sun to fraternities and apartments around Cornell.

“He pieced together quite a living that way. He was always very concerned to finish his work on time,” Robert said.

Always the athlete, Jeremy will be remembered by those awake early enough to see him for jumping the rails at houses in order to keep on schedule.

All are welcome to pay tribute to Jeremy this evening at Bangs Funeral Home on W. Green St. Calling hours are between 7 and 8:30 p.m., and a memorial service will immediately follow with testimonials and a musical remembrance.

Friends may also send cards or flowers to Jeremy’s family at 301 Turkey Hill Rd.

Archived article by Matthew Hirsch