Equestrian Grabs First Place Finish at Home Turf Event

The Red needed a strong showing this past Sunday if it was going to have any chance of staying alive for zones. Coming off a disappointing show at Skidmore, the squad trailed the Thoroughbreds by 29 points for the only spot that advances to zones with three shows left.

Yesterday, the Red answered the challenge with perhaps its strongest showing of the season. Cornell claimed first place on its home turf with 37 points, beating Skidmore and cutting the deficit by 8 points. Colgate tied Skidmore with 29 points, followed by Hartwick (25), Ithaca College (21), Cobleskill (21), Morrisville (20), Binghamton (13) and Rensselaer (7).

“We had a great day,” indicated head coach Chris Mitchell. “It is hard to prepare and host a show and then ride so well in it. It was a great feat.”

The Red had a solid showing from each of its divisions.

In the Open Division, senior captain Julie Canter placed first in both fences and flat (where she was the point rider).

“I was able to ride really well and really consistently. I was able to work well with the horses,” said Canter on her successful day.

Fellow senior captain Zoe Oreki also had a strong day, placing second in both the open flat and open fences. She also qualified for regionals in the flat. Junior Kate Cornell, who was the point rider in the open fences division, placed fourth. She also placed second in the flat.

In the intermediate division, freshman Erica Rosen was the point rider in the flat where she finished 3rd. Fellow rookie Kate Reynolds placed second in the flat and third in fences.

In the novice division, sophomore Alaina Hoffman placed first in both fences and flat, qualifying for regionals. She was joined by freshman Gillian Pech in the flat and senior Nicole Bowen in the fences.

In the walk-trot-canter division, point rider sophomore Eva Conant placed third, and in doing so, also qualified for regionals.

The walk-trot division was the most impressive of the day. Sophomore Erin Goodrich, freshman Linda Nguyen and junior Kim Huppe all claimed first in their classes in the walk-trot division.

“I can’t remember the last time we swept in the walk-trot-canter,” proclaimed Mitchell. “It is a hard division to sweep, as the riders are less experienced. Their effort is what allowed us to win the day.”

All told, the Red had five members qualify for regionals in addition to closing the gap on Skidmore. The Red will look to take momentum from this victory into the final two shows.

“Everyone is positive, upbeat and excited. We are primed and ready to go after [Skidmore]. There is no reason why we can’t catch them.” Mitchell said.

Archived article by Chris Callanan