Riders Battle Toronto

The Toronto Polo Club is making its way to Oxley Equestrian Center this weekend to battle both the men’s and women’s polo teams. Toronto will be the last squad the Red will play before the upcoming regionals.

“Toronto is a good team that we always get to come in and challenge us before the regional tournament,” said head coach David Eldredge ’81.

The Red can most likely expect some very exciting matches. Toronto is known for its fast-paced play and ability to win tight games.

“[These two upcoming games] should be a nice change of pace from [the slower games] we’ve seen the past two weeks,” said Eldredge. “The women have lost by only one goal in both of their last encounters with Toronto, so they are really excited [to play this weekend].”

The men’s and women’s squads have been practicing hard in preparation for the regional tournament, which begins next week.

When asked to comment on how prepared the men and women are for the regional tournament, Eldredge remarked, “Our [recent] practices [have been] very strong.”

The Red has really been trying to focus on getting comfortable before regionals. Despite rigorous practices, Eldredge has been encouraging his riders to just play without any regrets.

“The players really [have appeared to be] having fun, which is the reason they’re playing in the first place,” Eldredge stated. “I’m really happy with their attitudes.”

The women play today at 7:30 p.m. at Oxley. The men play tomorrow at 8:15 p.m.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini