Women's Lacrosse Takes Trip to Rutgers

After a 20-6 thrashing of the Stanford Cardinal last weekend in Palo Alto, Cal., the women’s lacrosse team will set its sights a little closer to home as it travels to Piscataway, N.J. to face Rutgers this Saturday.

The last time these two teams met was on March 10 last year, where the Red trounced the Scarlet Knights by a score of 15-6. Seniors Jamiee Reynolds and Ginny Miles had particularly strong days, tallying multiple goals (Reynolds 6, Miles 4). In addition, senior goalkeeper Carrie Giancola made eight saves.

The Red has traditionally dominated Rutgers, leading the series 5-0. In their series history Cornell’s margin of victory has averaged more than seven goals. The squad will not, however, be overconfident going into this weekend.

“Rutgers is a feisty, scrappy team.” said head coach Jenny Graap ’86. “Though they are currently not ranked, it doesn’t mean that we are not taking this game seriously. They are competitive and would love to upset us.”

Cornell will face a Rutgers team that returns 14 players, including eight starters. This includes junior Claire Glooms, who was the Scarlet Knights’ top offensive weapon last year, and junior Kristin Checksfield, who recorded 31 turnovers last season. Rutgers is 1-1 on the season, losing a close bout to Big East rival Virginia Tech 9-8 and crushing the Manhattan Jaspers 16-1 on Wednesday.

The Red will look to carry momentum from its season opener into this game. There Cornell’s offense exploded, which resulted in multiple point performances from seven members of the team. Senior Beth Calder had a career game, tallying three times and adding two assists to give her five points on the day. Reynolds also got the season started off in the right fashion, earning five points and set a school record of scooping eight ground balls. Juniors Sarah Averson and Erica Holveck also joined Calder and Reynolds on the day with five points. It was just the third time in school history that the 20-goal barrier was reached.

Cornell’s defense also held the Cardinal at bay allowing it only 12 shots on goal and forcing 16 turnovers. Giancola made five saves on the day.

“Our approach to the season is to take it one game at a time,” Graap indicated. “We are focusing on improving. Even though our game against Stanford was lopsided, we want to continue to improve several aspects of our game.”

Saturday’s effort over Stanford moved the Red up in the IWLCA national polls to No. 10. It is the first time in the team’s history that the Red has attained a ranking within the top 10.

Archived article by Chris Callanan