Men's Polo team earns at-large bid despite loss to UVA

So close.

The men’s polo squad fought until the end against UVA last week before falling 20-11 to the Cavs in the Eastern Regional Championship final. The men had played a strong game against Valley Forge in the semifinal round Mar. 16, triumphing 21-15 to advance to the finals against UVA.

“[It was] a great overall effort,” said head coach David Eldredge ’81.

The riders have no reason to be disappointed, as the team seems to have truly clicked at Regionals, perhaps for the first time all season.

“We pulled it together, played a great game against Valley Forge, and played right to the end against UVA,” Eldredge beamed.

As a result of the Red’s finish at Regionals, it has received a bid to the National Championship, where it hopes to display similarly inspired play.

“[The bid to Nationals] is really nice,” commented Eldredge. “it was our outlandish goal for the year.”

Another plus last weekend at Regionals was that sophomore Senter Johnson received All-East honors.

“[Senter’s honor] was a really wonderful thing, especially in his first full year,” said Eldredge. “He played really well all year and we’re all really happy he achieved [All-East].”

Cornell plays its first match at Nationals on April 1 against Colorado State University. If the Red plays as it did in Regionals, it can only expect good things to come.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini