W. Tennis Splits On Trip to Bayou

Women’s tennis action over the break offered both soaring highs and saddening lows, as the Red won two of its four contests during the week.

Slow Start

March 17 marked a slow start to the lengthy road trip, as Cornell was defeated by Tulane by a score of 6-1. It fared no better the very next day, as New Orleans left the courts victorious by the same 6-1 count.

Despite the two losses, the team found positives in its performance.

“Even though we lost to the two teams, everyone got some good experience, which is important heading into the Ivy Season,” sophomore Kate Sternberg said.

A few days of rest and relaxation helped greatly, as Cornell was able to tally a win over Louisiana-Lafayette by a score of 5-2 on March 20. The Red dominated singles play, winning four of its five matches with great performances by juniors Suzanne Wright, Daniela DelPrete, and Piper Lucas, and freshman Akane Kokubo.

Momentum Seekers

Using the momentum of Wednesday’s victory Cornell finished its trip with another win over Xavier. The win was one sided, as the Red swept the day’s play by a score of 9-0.

One of the more impressive performances over the break was that of Wright. She tallied the only wins for her team against Tulane and New Orleans and remained undefeated in singles play throughout the rest of the break.

Although the team was just .500 on the trip, it was a good experience overall for the squad.

“Our team got a real chance to hang out and bond more. It was fun just to be with the whole team every day, even on the non-match days it was fun,” Sternberg noted.

However, the team must now focus on league play, as it faces its first Ivy League opponent on Friday at Columbia.

“After the matches of spring break, I am very confident about the match this weekend,” Sternberg added. “I think we are going to do great.”

Archived article by Chris Poplarski