Princeton Defeats W. Lacrosse, 16-12

In a clash of two of the top programs in the country, the ninth-ranked women’s lacrosse team was handed its first loss of the season, 16-12 by the second-ranked Princeton Tigers Saturday in Princeton, N.J. The loss ended a five-game winning streak for the Red, which now drops to 5-1 on the season and 2-1 in the conference. The Tigers, on the other hand, lengthened their winning streak to seven games and are now 2-0 in the Ivy League.

The Red had impressive performances from several of its top players. Junior attackman Sarah Averson led the Red in scoring with four goals and an assist. Senior midfielder Jaimee Reynolds was not far behind with four goals of her own. Junior attackman Sarah Fischer tallied three times, while sophomore midfielder Jaime Quinn added another. Senior attackman Lori Wohlschlegel, back in her second game from a knee injury, contributed two assists on the day. On defense, senior goalie Carrie Giancola stopped eight shots.

Statistically the game was evenly balanced in several areas, with the Red obtaining advantages in shots (28-24) and ground balls (23-14). Princeton, however, controlled draws against Cornell (19-11) and took fewer penalties (12-19).

Though the Red started off strong, there was a lapse midway through the game which allowed Princeton take control. Cornell subsequently could not overcome the deficit that was created.

After Princeton opened the scoring, the Red answered with three goals of its own to take an early lead over the Tigers. Averson scored two free position goals during this streak, while Reynolds added her first goal of the day. Princeton, slightly stunned by Cornell’s quick start, was forced to call a timeout.

The Tigers, however, quickly regrouped, scoring two goals from Theresa Sherry and Mimi Hammerberg to even the score. Fischer gave the lead back to the Red at 12:28. It was, however, the last time Cornell would have the lead.

Princeton subsequently went on a run where it outscored the Red, 9-2. The Tigers gained momentum as they scored five unanswered goals, three from Lauren Simone, to pull away from the Red. Fischer and Reynolds cut the deficit to two before Princeton added another tally to take a 9-6 lead at halftime.

The Red’s offense took advantage of the opportunities that it was able to create in the first half, scoring six goals on 12 shots, including three attempts out of four free position opportunities. Unfortunately for Cornell, it was also heavily penalized, as it was called for eleven cautions in the first half, three of which the Tigers were able to capitalize on.

The second half continued to go Princeton’s way, as it led off by scoring three more goals to widen its advantage to 12-6. Cornell started to fight back, cutting the deficit to four two times, the first at the 36:31 mark thanks to two straight goals by Averson, and the second at the 52:25 courtesy of Quinn. Each time the Tigers were able to pull away again.

The squad returns to action this Saturday at 1 p.m. at Schoellkopf Field where it will face another league rival and power in women’s lacrosse, No. 12 Dartmouth.

Archived article by Chris Callanan