Freshman May Adds Offense

Softball is in the blood for the Cornell freshman hitting sensation Lauren May.

“I’ve been playing softball since I was five years old, it was my first love,” May explained. “I’ve always played.”

May’s father, who was recruited to play in the minor leagues, used to play with his daughter every day, but May credits her mother as to whom introduced her to the sport.

“My mom just loves softball, she got me into it.”

Starting with little league as a child, May has excelled at the sport at every level. She started as a pitcher but moved to shortstop after a shoulder injury.

Of her new home on the field, May states, “My dad suggested shortstop because it has the most action. I think it’s the most challenging position on the filed, I love it.”

A three-sport athlete at Commack High School, earning All-County honors in both basketball and softball as well as being named to the U.S. Navy Scholastic All-America team and earning all-regional and all-tournament recognition for softball, May has done the seemingly impossible task of improving upon those previous distinctions.

In her freshman campaign, which is just about four weeks old, she has already been named Ivy League Player and Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

“Lauren May is a ball player,” praises head coach Dick Blood. “She has a keen awareness and a good sense of the game, and plays hard all the time. She also has a very calm demeanor during the game, calm but focused.”

Blood elaborated, explaining May’s greatest attribute. “She has very good hand-eye coordination. She is very gifted, a very talented young lady.”

May has shown that all the praise is well earned, having been nothing less than spectacular thus far.

“She’s doing wonderful,” praised Blood. “She’s done a wonderful job at short stop and she’s playing really well. She’s the total package.”

Although May was recruited for her ability at shortstop, her strong hitting did not elude Blood.

“She was definitely a strong hitter in high school, but I’m not sure she had that home run production, but she definitely showed promise for the future.”

The future has seen May hitting just about .400 and sending 11 shots over the fence during the team’s 22 games.

As described by her coach, May is “very modest. She is a humble young lady that loves softball. She loves her teammates and she just loves to play.”

Her humble attitude was evident as she continually praised her teammates and coaches.

Of her teammates, May explained, “Everyone loves to be there [practice], and everyone loves the sport. It’s great to be around people that love softball as much as I do.”

She later added, “I’m a part of such an amazing team, everyone works together so well.”

May did not miss praising her coach, stating, “I love the way Coach Blood runs practice and his intensity and attitude towards the game.”

When asked about her own individual play, she stated, “I’m excited about it, but I’m more excited for our season to start, we start Ivy League play this weekend, and I just can’t wait for it to start.”

The Red is already off to a great start, posting a 13-9 record. What is May’s prediction for the season?

“I think we definitely have a great chance for winning the Ivies again this year. Our team works really hard and really well together. I would love to see us win the Ivy title and I really do think that we can.”

With this freshman talent on the field, this goal could become a reality.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss