E-News

Don’t Have a Cow, Man

Rio de Janeiro tourism officials are suing the producers of The Simpsons over its depiction of the Brazilian city in a recent episode, “Blame it on Lisa.” Highlights of the episode include scenes where Homer is held for ransom by a cab driver, Bart is swallowed whole by a boa constrictor, and the family is attacked by monkeys. Brazilians also took offense to being portrayed as Spanish-accented conga dancers with thick mustaches.

So much for the defense that it’s not discrimination as long as you offend everyone —- the Japanese, Australians, French, British, and Canadians, among others, have all been parodied on the cartoon. Not to mention what the Simpsons says about American culture in every single episode.

Confused

Actress Tara Reid revealed in a recent CosmoGIRL! interview that she was “numb” when she and Carson Daly canceled their engagement last year. The actress says she ended up going to see five therapists, and “nothing made sense.”

While she’s there, she should ask the shrink why she went out with Daly in the first place. And why the hell is she talking about being adrift and disillusioned with love in a magazine targeting pre-pubescent teenyboppers? I can just see the conversations between mothers and daughters across America:

“Mommy, mommy, if I get engaged to Carson Daly, will he break up with me because he’s a lying bastard afraid of commitment like all men are?”

“What? What did I tell you about fantasizing about Carson Daly? Go to your room!”