Baseball Drops Pair

The baseball team returned to the friendly confines of Hoy Field yesterday afternoon, but despite the pleasant weather, was unable to halt its losing skid, which now stands at four games.

Returning from a weekend of Ivy League action that saw it drop a pair of games to a promising Brown squad, the Red lost both contests in yesterday’s twin bill with regional foe LeMoyne.

Starting pitching again hurt Cornell, as the Dolphins jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the first game, en route to a 13-3 victory. Freshman hurler Tad Bardenwerper got the start, surrendering four runs (two earned) on five hits over three innings.

But more than shaky pitching, it was lackadaisical play that thwarted any hope the Red had of competing in the game. The team committed six errors in the seven-inning affair.

LeMoyne starter Chris Barlow recorded three scoreless innings of work before Cornell got on the scoreboard with a run in the fifth. Senior first baseman Flint Foley led the way offensively for the home side with a three-for-four performance, which included an RBI.

Things really unraveled for the Red in the seventh frame. The Dolphins scored six times – all unearned runs to seal the victory.

Once again, Cornell would find itself fighting from behind in the nightcap. Sophomore Glen Morris lasted just two innings on the mound for the Red, surrendering five hits and as many runs.

The Red fell into a 5-0 hole after the first two innings but scored four runs over the next two frames to close the gap. The Red received stellar relief work from sophomore Chris Schutt, who did not permit a run or hit in his two innings.

Nonetheless, LeMoyne plated two in the fifth and added another in the sixth to ensure the 8-6 victory.

The Red resumes its Ancient Eight schedule this weekend with a pair of doubleheaders in Philadelphia against the Quakers.

Archived article by Gary Schueller