W. Lax Faces Another Ranked Opponent

In a game with tremendous Ivy League implications, the No. 6 women’s lacrosse team will look to extend its winning streak to five games as it hosts No. 8 Yale tomorrow at Schoellkopf.

“Yale will be one of our toughest opponents of the year,” said head coach Jenny Graap ’86. “[It has] a very potent offense.”

After defeating Brown 22-10 on Wednesday, the Elis stand at 10-3, and in a virtual tie for first place in the Ivy League with Princeton with a 5-1 conference record. Yale is in the midst of a superb season which has seen it defeat tough opponents such as No. 13 Dartmouth and No. 7 Duke. Like Cornell, the Bulldogs also feature a varied offensive attack, with nine different players scoring goals this season.

“They have a lot of kids with double-digit goals,” Graap said, “we’re facing an offense that’s similar to ours.”

Coming off an emotional 13-6 victory over No. 16 Syracuse Wednesday, the Red (9-1, 4-1) will attempt to move into sole possession of second place on Senior Day tomorrow.

Wednesday’s game saw stellar efforts from several members of Cornell’s senior class, as midfielder Jaimee Reynolds and attack Lori Wohlschlegel recorded hat tricks. In addition, goalie Carrie Giancola’s five saves against the Orangewomen bought her to within one of the school record of 404, which is held by Lori Wick ’81.

“I feel the difference in the game will be defense and goaltending,” explained Graap, “which is a strength for Cornell.”

Cornell has won the last two meetings between these Ivy rivals, but Yale leads the all-time series 14-8. In last year’s contest, the Red spoiled Yale’s Senior Day with an 11-7 upset win. The Elis took an early lead but Cornell came from behind to take a 5-3 lead into halftime. Sophomore Kate Hirschfield paced all scorers with two goals and two assists.

“They’ll be looking for some serious revenge,” commented Graap.

Archived article by Owen Bochner