Search for Coach Continues

Although no formal announcements have been made since former women’s basketball head coach Marnie Dacko resigned her post on April 11, a search for a replacement is proceeding diligently, according to a statement made yesterday afternoon by associate athletic director Bob Chaddock.

Dacko left Cornell after a seven-year tenure in which she posted an 80-104 mark. She accepted a position with the University of Massachusetts, after the Minutewomen opted not to extend the contract of Joanie O’Brien.

“I am thoroughly engaged in the search and process of evaluating potential candidates,” Chaddock said.

Meanwhile, the team has continued to hold player-led scrimmages and remains on a weight lifting regimen under the auspices of Tom Dilliplane, assistant coach, strength and conditioning.

“It has been different than we are used to, but it will be very beneficial. It is a team building exercise,” junior tri-captain Karen Force said.

Chaddock will be joined by Dacko herself in the effort to appoint a new coaching staff. Dacko’s assistant coaches at Cornell will also move to Amherst. Force suggested that she hoped there would be a role for player input.

“We want to be able to be involved in the process,” she said.

Asserting that he was seeking a “student of the game,” that would fit into both Cornell’s academic and athletic environment, Chaddock said he was unable to offer a timetable for the search process.

However, in the coming weeks, the process will become increasingly important. June and July are regarded as primary recruiting months, and Cornell stands to suffer immensely if no coach is in place by then.

Before Dacko’s arrival, the lady cagers had never posted a record above .500. In her final two campaigns, she amassed a pair of consecutive winning seasons. She was previously the coach at Northwestern University.

After finishing third in the Ivies two seasons ago, Dacko and company placed second this year after dropping a double-overtime thriller to Harvard.

“It’s disappointing, because we were all focused on the title for this season,” Force said in regard to the timing of Dacko’s departure. “The coaching staff brought this program so far, and they deserve a title too.”

Archived article by Gary Schueller