W. Lax Completes Home Slate

Cornell had a record setting day as it easily handled Delaware to the tune of a 14-6 thumping yesterday afternoon at Schoellkopf Field. The victory improves the squad to 13-1 on the year and ties Cornell’s all-time high for wins in a season. It is also the first time in school history that the team has been undefeated at home for the season. The big story of the day, however, was senior midfielder Jaimee Reynolds, who led the Red with a season-high five goals and an assist, as she moved past Cari Hills ’98 as the all-time career leader in points in Cornell history. Reynolds’s career total is now 184 points.

“I’m thrilled for her. She really is one of the most humble athletes. She is deserving of all the records that she gets,” said head coach Jenny Graap 86′.

Reynolds modestly added, “I’m thankful of all the opportunities that I have had. I would like to thank my coaches and my teammates for giving me that opportunity. I still try to concentrate more on how I am and the team is doing from game to game rather than on records.”

In addition to the scoring record, she is close to breaking the Hills’s career goal record of 131. Reynolds’s five-goal performance puts her at 130 career goals.

Besides Reynolds, the Red had a wide range of attack in the game with nine players recording at least one point. Cornell also dominated nearly every other aspect of the game, outshooting the Blue Hens 35-14, holding a 34-15 edge in ground balls, and forcing 15-5 turnovers.

“I think what we saw today was a full team effort, everyone played hard, from the goalie to the defense from the midfield to the offense. It finally felt like we were putting it together,” indicated Graap.

It was Delaware which struck first when its leading goal scorer, Corinne Shuck took a feed from Becky Zane at the 1:49 mark. Undaunted, Cornell swiftly answered with Reynolds leading the charge. She scored five of her six points during a stretch in the first half that led to a 6-2 halftime lead for the Red. Reynolds tied the score at the 7:05 mark, and then took the lead for the Red 30 seconds later when she intercepted a pass at midfield and then single handedly rushed in while avoiding three defenders to score.

Junior attacker Sarah Aversion, who had two goals and an assist on the day, set up Reynolds for her third goal of the night. Reynolds then added another goal and an assist. Senior midfielder Katie McCorry, who plays primarily a defensive role, scored on a turn around shot after being set up by fellow senior midfielder Beth Calder to give Cornell a commanding 6-2 lead going into the half.

The second half was a similar story for the Red, as it continued to dominate, outscoring Delaware eight to four. Nine different players recorded at least a point during this half for the Red. Aversion had two tallies while Reynolds, Wolhschlegel, Calder each added one of their own. Freshman attacker Lindsey Steinberg scored her second goal of the game in the half, matching her season-high from Colgate. Sophomore midfielder Jamie Quinn also scored for the Red after receiving a pass from Calder. Freshman midfielder Julie Hughey had an assist when she set up Aversion’s second goal. Junior attackman Sarah Fischer topped off the scoring for the Red with a goal late in the game.

The defense also did a solid job for the Red. Reynolds, senior defender Sarah Graham, and junior midfielder Erica Holveck each forced three turnovers, while Reynolds and Holveck had a team-best six ground balls. Senior midfielder Kari Zarzecki chipped in with four grounders and two caused turnovers. In net, senior Goalie Carrie Giancola had eight saves on the day.

Cornell returns to action this Saturday when it faces off against Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. The game is an important one for the Red, as a win will likely give the Red home field for the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Archived article by Chris Callanan