Cornell Invite Opens Fall W. Tennis Season

This weekend the women’s tennis team is hosting its first event of the fall season. Syracuse and Colgate are coming to the Hill to take on the Red in this year’s Cornell Invitational. The team is gearing up for its biggest event of the year, the ECAC championship to take place in October. On the weekend of Oct. 11, the Red women will travel to Flushing Meadows, N.Y., the very same location for the 2002 U.S. Open Tennis Championship, to compete to be the ECAC champs.

Coach Tom Brownlie ’98 looks forward to a strong performance this weekend. With Syracuse as the stronger of the two contenders, Brownlie looks to a number of his returning players to lead the team to some hard-fought individual victories.

With only a few practices under its belt due to the Ivy League’s new rules regarding the length of each varsity team’s season, the Red looks to the weekend as a bit of a warmup for the year. The competition promises to be strong and Brownlie expects good performances from the majority of the team.

“We have got several freshmen who are definitely going to contribute, and I am definitely fired up about that,” says Brownlie, who looks also to sophomores Akane Kokubo and Erika Takeuchi as strong returning players this season.

Juniors Laura Tallent and Kate Sternberg are also strong contributors and will attempt to lead the Red to its first victories of the season.

Fans in the Stands

As the women’s tennis team is looking to kick off the season with a bang, Brownlie is looking to focus on getting more fans in the stands of the Reis Tennis Center to support the women. This year promises great competition and exciting matches for the women’s tennis team, and it all starts this weekend. The Red will take on Colgate in singles tomorrow at 10 a.m. and Syracuse in singles at 4 p.m. Sunday will see doubles action again versus Colgate at 10 a.m. and Syracuse at 4 p.m.

Archived article by Allison Simpson