Golfers Compete At Bucknell Invite

The golf team is slated to open its season with an appearance at the Bucknell Invitational this weekend. The team has been rigorously practicing four to five hours a day since Aug. 21 with the hopes of obtaining one of the top two rankings in the Ivy League this year.

“Our team is looking really solid. We have two new freshmen, Andy Sliwa and Andrew Turker, and a junior transfer from Rutgers University, Chris Rogalski, who all look really hot. Combined with the returning lettermen, the team will make a big impact in the Ivies this year,” said senior captain Dave Nayak.

Their biggest competitors will be Yale, Princeton, and Penn, which is the returning champion for the past three years.

Even though none of these teams will be appearing at the Bucknell Invite, other strong ECAC teams will be present. The course, located in Lewisburg, Pa., is notorious for its short length and tricky landscape.

Nayak stated, “In order to do well at Bucknell, you really have to manage your team.”

He believes that Cornell is sending five men who have the potential to all break 300 at the tournament, which will send a threatening message to the competing teams. The tournament will give the Cornell men an opportunity to gauge themselves against the rest of the teams in the ECAC, and then prepare for the ECAC championships in Binghamton, N.Y. on Nov. 5 and 6.

Archived article by Rebeka Milnes