M. Soccer Welcomes Bonnies for Home Opener

The men’s soccer team (0-1-1, 0-0, Ivy) will kick off its home campaign under the lights this evening at 7 p.m. on Berman Field, as it plays host to St. Bonaventure. Cornell will look to avenge a 3-0 loss last season to its Empire State foes. The loss was the beginning of a 1-3-1 streak that placed the Red in an early hole. The Red returns to action after a disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of No. 23 Bradley.

“All of our games are crucial just because we have 17 games and for us to get into the NCAAs we need to win as many as we can,” head coach Bryan Scales said.

The visitors sport an up tempo style which has earned them to an early 3-1 start. The Bonnies boast a prolific scoring attack and have recorded 11 goals in their first four games, including a 5-2 dismantling of Niagra.

In his fourth season, St. Bonaventure head coach Bill Brady will be looking to guide the squad back to the Atlantic-10 tournament after it finished with a 6-12 mark last season. The match with Cornell will be the Bonnies fourth straight with an in-state foe. The Empire tour will conclude Saturday, when they play host to Canisius at 2 p.m.

“They have some tricky guys on the flank at midfield and up,” Scales said, “we have to take care of the ball when we do have it.”

Cornell can bank on a veteran defensive corps to stymie the Bonnies’ chances. Senior captain Liam Hoban heads up an immensely talented group of backs that should be able to adjust to St. Bonaventure’s speedy brand of soccer.

Senior keeper Doug Allen enjoyed a stellar performance last Friday at Notre Dame in the team’s season opener and will again be an integral component if the Red if it hopes to taste success on Berman field.

Scales and company appeared enthused about returning to friendly confines. Berman is not only regarded for its amenable playing surface, but has become one of the rowdier stadiums on East Hill since its inception three years ago.

“We enjoy playing at home. Berman is one of the best surfaces in the country,” Scales concluded.

Archived article by Gary Schueller