M. Soccer Defeats Colgate

Senior captain Liam Hoban scored on a penalty kick in the 47th minute last night to break a 1-1 tie as the men’s soccer team defeated Colgate 2-1. It was the Red’s third straight win and improved the team’s record to 3-1-1 on the season.

“It was a typical game for us at Colgate,” said head coach Bryan Scales. “A real battle.”

The Raiders (2-3-2) drew first blood, as Zach Stuppy scored at 34:37 off a Kevin Meehan pass. However, Cornell was able to remain in the game despite failing to convert on several good scoring chances.

Less than five minutes later, the Red evened the score as junior Evan Weiner headed in the game-tying goal at 39:05. Junior Artuto Solis assisted on the goal.

This was a pivotal play in the game because, according to Scales, had Cornell continued to trail completing a win would have become increasingly difficult.

“It would have just been more and more frustrating as the game went on,” he said.

Early in the second half, freshman Andrew George drew a Colgate foul within the box, resulting in a penalty. Hoban converted on the ensuing kick, giving Cornell a lead it would never relinquish.

The booters benefited from an exemplary defensive effort, as the entire defensive corps of Hoban, Weiner, sophomore Scott Palguta, and freshman Brian Pink kept Colgate’s chances to score extremely limited.

“The defense did a great job,” said Scales. “I really thought the back four did well.”

Senior Doug Allan recorded four saves before leaving the game with about 20 minutes remaining after taking a ball to the face and getting a tooth knocked out. Junior Nate Dunlap did a commendable job filling in for Allan for the balance of the game.

Despite an effort by Colgate to slow the pace in the game’s waning minutes, the Red held on for the 2-1 win.

“Colgate must have substituted on every throw-in just to stop the clock,” remarked Scales.

The strong team effort is evidence that the Red is beginning to come together and get into a solid team rhythm, which will be crucial as it enters the Ivy portion of its schedule Saturday at home against Penn.

“I’m really proud of the guys,” said Scales. “I’m glad we got the W tonight in such a tough place to play.”

Archived article by Owen Bochner