M. Hockey Ranked Eighth in Preseason

In its preseason poll released yesterday, USCHO.com ranked the men’s hockey team eighth in the nation. The Red (25-8-2, 17-3-2 ECAC) was ranked as high as sixth during the 2001-2002 season. Cornell received 315 points, moving up one spot from its ninth-place finish at the end of last year.

Minnesota, which won the national championship a season ago, claimed the top spot in the poll, garnering 22 of the possible 40 first-place votes. The Gophers (32-8-4) received 563 points.

Claiming the second spot in the polls was Denver, which finished with the same ranking at the end of last season. Denver, ranked No. 1 at various points last year, finished with a 32-8-1 record and received 12 first-place votes.

Michigan, New Hampshire, and Boston University rounded out the top five, with all three receiving first-place votes. Both Michigan and New Hampshire made the Frozen Four last season, with New Hampshire defeating Cornell in the tournament’s quaterfinal round en route to its appearance. The Wildcats were the No. 1 ranked team in the country at the time.

Maine and Michigan St. took the sixth and seventh spots, respectively.

The ECAC was well represented in the preseason poll, with the conference’s top two teams, Cornell and Harvard, placing in the top 15. The Red placed eighth while the arch-rival Crimson snuck in at 14th. While unranked, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Yale also received votes.

Boston College, Colorado College, St. Cloud, Northern Michigan, North Dakota, Harvard, and Ohio St. rounded out the top 15.

Archived article by Sun Staff