Red Splits at ECAC Tourney

In the first round of action at the ECAC women’s tennis tournament on Saturday, eighth seeded Cornell defeated the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers, 4-0.

The Red jumped out in front early by winning two of three doubles matches.

The team of sophomore Akane Kokubo and senior Nicole Chiu won 8-7 at the No. 1 doubles spot, followed by sophomore Erika Takeuchi and freshman Liying Wang winning at the No. 3 spot, 8-3.

The Red kept its early lead safe by sweeping all three singles matches.

Kokubo and junior Laura Leigh Tallent won their matches at the first two singles spots in straight sets, while Takeuchi needed a third set tiebreaker to win her match at the No. 3 spot.

Sunday’s match against Brown proved to be a tougher test. Inclement weather forced the match to be played at Columbia University, as the original site, the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, was deemed unplayable.

Despite the change in scenery and the Red’s momentum coming off Saturday’s win, the Bears prevailed by a score of 4-2.

Kokubo and Tallent each had straight-set victories in the first two spots of singles action over Victoria Beck and Alex Arlak, who as a pair, were named to the All-Ivy second team last season.

Yet Brown managed to pull out the next three singles matches, along with two doubles matches, winning by scores of 8-0 and 8-3.

The one bright spot in doubles play was Kokubo and Chiu’s win at the No. 1 spot by a score of 8-3 over Beck and Rachel Williams.

The Red’s next competition will be Oct. 25-29 at the ITA Individual-Regional Championships held in Boston. Then the squad will have a long break before opening its dual meet season against Colgate on Jan. 25.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro