Sprints Tame Princeton, 10-0

The Red sprint football team captured a much needed win on the road last Friday night in Princeton, NJ. With a 10-0 shutout against the Tigers (0-4), the Red improved to 2-2 on the season. Both victories this season have come at the Tigers’ expense.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Red opened the scoring less than three minutes into the second period when sophomore Chris Garnic put one through the uprights from 26 yards out. Garnic had missed a 33 yard field goal attempt, but he was given a second chance after Princeton was called for a personal foul. He would not miss a second time.

That would be the only score of the first half, however, as both defenses dominated play.

In the second half, the Cornell defense helped set up the game’s only touchdown. On Princeton’s first play from scrimmage of the half, the Red forced and recovered a fumble deep in Tigers’ territory. Cornell quickly pounced on the miscue, finding the endzone just a few plays later when junior tailback Dean Coccaro muscled his way for the score from four yards out with 12:40 remaining in the third quarter.

The 10 point lead was all that Cornell needed, as the defense kept the Tigers at bay.

Princeton led the Red in offensive passing and rushing yards for the night, but it was unable to post any points on the scoreboard for the second week in a row.

Cornell was able to snatch its second victory of the season despite three potentially costly turnovers. The shutout was the first of the year recorded by the Red’s defense.

Freshman tailback Daniel Tomaszewski led the way for Cornell on the ground with 41 yards on 13 carries. Senior quarterback Charlie Tam accounted for 100 yards of total offense on the evening, running for 37 yards while completing eight of eighteen passes for another 63 yards.

Olawale Oladehin paced Princeton with 52 yards on 11 carries.

Unfortunately for the Red, it will not play Princeton again this season, and it will face the tough Penn Quakers this Friday at 7:00 p.m.

The Quakers handed the Red its first loss this season by a 17-3 score. Cornell’s seniors will have extra motivation, as the game marks not only a rematch of the season opener, but it will be the last home game of their Cornell careers.

Archived article by Adam Zwecker