W. Soccer Set to Host In-State Rival Seahawks

The women’s soccer team (6-4-1, 1-4 Ivy) will face Wagner today coming off a very close loss to Dartmouth on Saturday.

Wagner (3-11-2, 1-7-1 NEC) is not the strongest team the booters will face this season, but the Red has been struggling as of late.

In addition, this Wagner squad is lesser known and could prove to be an unlucky surprise for Cornell.

“I don’t know much about them,” admitted head coach Berhane Andeberhan.

Steady Play

Despite the loss to Dartmouth this past weekend, the Red is not on a downward trend from its early season glory.

Cornell played hard throughout the game, often appearing to have the upper hand.

The Green finally took the lead with a goal in the 87th minute, when Dartmouth back Janet Light found the net to give Dartmouth the 1-0 win.

“[We] played a great, great game,” affirmed Andeberhan. “We were simply unlucky.”

Regrouping

Hopefully for Andeberhan, the Red can once again find its winning ways against Wagner.

Despite having a veritable superstar in Jennifer Spadafino, who has 11 goals in nine games this season, Wagner has been outscored 35-18 overall in 16 games played.

The team is somewhat unbalanced after inspecting the splendid play of Spadafino. The next highest individual goal mark on the team is just two.

Spadafino also has more shots on the year than the next four players in the shots taken category combined.

Wagner averages 1.1 goals per game and allows its opponents to score twice that, at 2.2. The team has also allowed more than twice as many corner kicks as it has taken in 2002, 68-31.

Tight Victories

All of Wagner’s victory this season have come by a single goal advantages and the defense has been shaky, giving up two or more goals in 11 of its 16 games.

If the Red can show some offensive force, while playing its usual balanced game, it should be able to take advantage of Wagner’s weakness of defense.

“The system we’ve adapted is to observe a bit of pressure early, defend well, defend well, defend well, and then we’ll find our game.

In the past games this season, we would come out of the gate flat-footed, and to avoid that we changed the system,” finished Andeberhan.

After tonight’s 7 p.m. contest, Cornell will next head to Providence to take on Brown. The Ivy League contest will take place this Saturday at 5 p.m.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini