Sprint Football Hosts Quakers

Tonight the sprint football seniors will play their last game on Schoellkopf Field in their collegiate careers.

For most players tonight marks the last chance to recapture hopes a winning season and the hearts of Red faithful who have supported them through many a fall.

For others who have been slaving away in the gym, on the practice fields, and through playbooks till early morning hours, tonight marks the culmination of their efforts to show that Cornell (2-2, 1-1 CSFL) has what it takes to compete at the highest level against the best teams in the CSFL.

More notably, the senior class, several of whom have been steady fixtures on the sprint team over the past four years hope to leave behind a great legacy and some heavy shoes to fill for its successors.

Included among the four-year starters in this senior class are offensive lineman Mike Rutenberg, defensive back co-captain Adam Romeiser, and defensive lineman Jay Sackett.

Of the 11 seniors on this year’s team, nine of them are starting in tonight’s game.

“Many parents, relatives, and close friends come in for the seniors’ last home game. It’s a pretty emotionally driven game with a lot of support from the families”, said head coach Terry Cullen.

“It has been a very rewarding year with a lot of outstanding efforts and I am really proud of this football team,” he continued.

In the Red’s last game against Pennsylvania (2-1, 0-1) they lost in Philadelphia by a score of 17-3, which Cullen described as “a much closer game than the score suggests.

“We really played them well down there, just had a couple costly mistakes and missed tackles that could have changed the game,” he said.

After losing to a talented Army squad two weeks ago, 45-7, the Red gridders turned themselves around with a 10-0 effort against Princeton. The team needs to build on last week’s success in order to compete with the Quakers.

With emotions running wild and a senior-dominated Red defense coming off of a shutout against Princeton in last week’s game, tonight should be a hard fought dual between two “excellent teams” according to Cullen.

With Cornell looking to improve to 3-2 on the season and seeking revenge for the 17-3 loss in the season opener, and Pennsylvania coming off a heartbreaking loss to Army 17-16 last weekend and looking to continue its winning streak against the Red, tonight’s game will definitely be a game to watch.

Archived article by Adam Zwecker