Sprints Lose to Penn

photo
In its final home game of the season, the sprint football team struggled to find its offensive rhythm against a quicker Pennsylvania squad, losing 22-0. The Senior Day loss dropped the Red to 2-3 overall and 1-2 in league action.

Despite an inspired defensive effort, the offense continued its season long struggles, gaining only 55 yards on a cold, rainy Schoellkopf evening.

In two games against the Red and Blue, Cornell managed just 132 yards of total offense.

For the game, the Red failed to mount any serious scoring threats after the first quarter and was forced to punt 12 times.

“We played well early, driving down the field before throwing an interception. After that, we just couldn’t get anything going. We looked good in spurts, but we continue to be inconsistent,” said head coach Terry Cullen of the Red’s offensive performance.

The Quaker offensive attack was undeterred by the inclement conditions, however, employing a well-balanced gameplan. All-CSFL running back Mark Gannon led Penn with 74 yards and two touchdowns, singlehandedly outgaining the Red.

Penn amassed 242 rushing yards and 389 yards of total offense on the evening. Despite Penn’s offensive success, it led only 7-0 at halftime, adding two second half touchdowns to cap the scoring.

Although the Quakers amassed almost 400 yards Cullen was pleased with his team’s defensive effort.

“Our defense played very well, and we’re getting better every week. Penn’s a good team, but take away a few plays and we didn’t give them anything. We’ll be ready for next week,” he said.

On defense, senior linebacker Eric Eisenhart continued his amazing year, leading the Red with 12 tackles and bringing his season total to 65. Two of his tackles were for a loss and he added a partially blocked punt.

“He’s just a great athlete. His position allows him to use his athleticism and aggression. He’s extremely aggressive, and Eric keeps making plays. He’s the best kid out there. I don’t want to single anyone out because we are all playing well, but Eric is definitely leading the team,” said senior captain and cornerback Adam Romeiser

Cornell will finish its season next Friday, when it travels to West Point to play the Black Knights of Army. Army stands at 3-1 overall after a bye week boasts the league’s best defense.

Archived article by Mark Fetzko